Friday, 26 April 2013

Finding crochet on our travels - Bumbles Tea Rooms, St Ives

One of the most exciting things for any crocheter is finding crochet and knitted items when you least expect them surely and it seems Cornwall is popping up a few times on my crafty radar.

A couple of years ago I was delighted to come across some crochet yarn bombing at the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall. I don't know what it is but I literally get butterflies in my tummy when crocheted items present themselves to me when I am not expecting it! As if somehow I am not alone in my love for the art form and I can feel the crafty love from this person even though they are not there with me.

You can imagine my delight then when we were in St Ives in Cornwall just this month and I came across a quaint little tea shop in the back streets called Bumbles.

We didn't have time to go in but I was delighted when I saw a whole knitted set of cakes in the window and it seems to be a recurring theme for some tea shops these days to put knitted cakes in their window displays. It is certainly a fun idea and the cakes won't go off any time soon! Maybe it is a new take on the plastic food displays of that found in Japan.

Stupidly I hestitated in taking a photo because I was having a shy moment but you can view an image here of the display. http://www.flickr.com/photos/amessuperfluous/4541634580/

Where has crochet popped up in your life when you've least expected it? I would love to hear your stories!