Monday, 15 July 2013

Is it ok to sell items made from crochet patterns?

Is it ok to sell items made from your crochet patterns?

This is a question I get asked ALOT and I am always surprised at just how many crochet designers out there prohibit the selling of items made from their patterns. So what is and isn't allowed?

The way I look at things is that probably 99.9% of my customer base is going to be someone who is at home most of the day, perhaps looking after the kids or enjoying retirement but most importantly, people who love to crochet.

So someone says to them one day, hey! you should sell what you make because they look so good! The crocheter thinks to themselves, hmmm... I could do with the extra cash.

So they make a plan. They start to sell some items made from patterns they find online, they start their own Etsy store perhaps, they make a few sales, all seems great and exciting! But then bam!! they get a nasty surprise when they see their favourite designs are 'for personal use only'. They feel angry, upset, can't understand why.

Well, I would say crochet designers have some valid concerns as to why they put these clauses into their transactions but for me? I thought about it a bit harder.

Will people really make millions from selling items from my patterns when all I got was say $5 for the pattern? What happens if I want to sell items made from my own patterns, will sales be hindered? Will some factory somewhere swoop in and mass produce my work? WILL PEOPLE TAKE CREDIT FOR MY WORK???? aaarrgggh ... look designers, you'll drive yourself mad and you're doing yourself a dis-service.

Most crocheters are not heading out to buy their own yachts or French villas when you're slaving away over a hot hook and items you make will be what ... you ... make! Other crocheters are not you but regardless, for me I don't have time to sell actual items, I prefer to spend my time designing and sharing those designs with as many people as possible but if I did start to sell my own items then these items would be official merchandise!

What you need to remember too is that the vast majority of people WILL credit you as a designer, it is the least to ask of customers, and when they do, that is free advertising. If I started to say 'for personal use only' I would be pushing away a lot of custom and exposure to my business, and making a lot of crocheters struggle to make just some extra cash and I just don't want to do that.

Weighing up the risks I go with what feels right. HappyBerry is about being happy, it's the fundamental company ethos so at HappyBerry we want to help promote crocheters to start up their own crochet businesses and by doing that, as a designer, I do allow items made from any of my patterns to be sold in people's stores, that could be a small Etsy store online or even a small retail shop on the high street. All I ask is that credit is given to HappyBerry and that the patterns themselves are not sold (obviously - that would daft), and for people to be happy, successful and enjoy what HappyBerry can bring to their lives.

So have fun guys and let me know where items made from my patterns do end up! Happy crocheting everyone (^-^)

 
Are you a designer? What are your concerns and worries?
Are you a crocheter? What annoys you and how do you cope?
Comment below and let me know!