Wednesday, 13 November 2013

How To - Crochet Simple Adult Slippers for Men or Women


This pattern is oh so simple to do but I am working on a video tutorial of it as well which I will share when it has finally uploaded. 

No-one likes to wait for a pattern right? so here is the written version first! Yay!

I hope you enjoy making these as much as I loved designing them.

Suitable for beginners.





Materials Required

1 x 100g ball of chunky/bulky weight yarn in white
Some chunky/bulky weight yarn in green
I/9 (5.5mm) crochet hook
Scissors and yarn needle

Finished Sizes

Teens to adult – one size only (5-7 UK)

See notes for larger/smaller sizes.

Gauge

3hdc to 1”

Additional Notes

This pattern is in US terminology.

For longer or shorter slippers crochet more or less rounds on rounds 6 – 13 or rounds 14 – 22.

For thinner or wider slippers crochet more or less chains at the beginning or work less increase rounds at the beginning.

Stitch Library

ch = chain
sl st = slip stitch
sc = single crochet
hdc = half double crochet
() = total stitches

W = white yarn G = green yarn

Video tutorials relating to this pattern.
Crocheting into foundation stitches: http://youtu.be/FMdj4j8E9U0

Left Slipper

Round 1
Using W and an I/9 (5.5mm) crochet hook, ch9, 2hdc in 2nd st from hook, 1hdc in next 6 sts, 5hdc in last st. Working back into your foundation chains again work 1hdc in 2nd chain along (your 1st chain was the same as the last chain from the first row, where you worked 5hdc), 1hdc in next 5 chs, 3hdc in last ch – (22 total sts from both rows).

Round 2
Without joining your round here and onwards, 1hdc in next 10 sts, 2hdc in next 2sts, 1hdc in last 10 sts – (24)

Round 3
1hdc in next 11 sts, 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in last 10 sts – (26)

Round 4
1hdc in next 12 sts, 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in next 2 sts, 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in last 10 sts – (28)

Round 5
1hdc in next 13 sts, 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in next 3 sts, 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in last 10 sts – (30)

Rounds 6 – 13
1hdc in ea st around – (30)

Round/Row 14
1hdc in next 25 sts, ch1 (don’t count as st here and onwards), TURN, 1hdc in 1st st and in next 20 sts – (21 – we’re only counting 21 sts now)

Rows 15 – 22
Ch1, TURN, 1hdc in 1st st and in next 20 sts – (21)

Row 23
Ch1, TURN, hdc2tog 5 times, 1hdc in next st, hdc2tog 5 times – (11)

Row 24
Ch1, TURN, hdc2tog twice, hdc3tog, hdc2tog twice – (5)

Row 25
Ch1, TURN, hdc2tog, 1hdc in next st, hdc2tog – (3)

Row 26
Ch1, TURN, hdc3tog – (1) Fasten off and tie in all tails.

Round 27
Re-join W anywhere on back on slipper, near the edge and work 1sc neatly around opening of slipper, join G with sl st to join round – (st count is not important).

Round 28
Continuing in G, work 1 sl st in ea sc around, sl st in first sl st to join round. Fasten off and tie in all tails.

Right Slipper
Round 1
Using W and an I/9 (5.5mm) crochet hook, ch9, 2hdc in 2nd st from hook, 1hdc in next 6 sts, 5hdc in last st. Working back into your foundation chains again work 1hdc in 2nd chain along (your 1st chain was the same as the last chain from the first row, where you worked 5hdc), 1hdc in next 5 chs, 3hdc in last ch – (22 total sts from both rows).

Round 2
Without joining your round here and onwards, 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in next 20 sts, 2hdc in last st – (24)

Round 3
1hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in next 21sts, 2hdc in last st – (26)

Round 4
1hdc in next 2 sts, 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in next 22sts, 2hdc in last st – (28)

Round 5
1hdc in next 3 sts, 2hdc in next st, 1hdc in next 23sts, 2hdc in last st – (30)

Rounds 6 – 28
Repeat rounds 6 – 28 of left slipper.

And now you’re done!

Any questions just post below or join me on Facebook or Twitter at http://www.facebook.com/happyberrycrochet and http://www.twitter.com/happyberryUK

For more free patterns please join me on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/happyberrycrochet or visit my website at http://www.happyberry.co.uk





© HappyBerry This pattern can not be reproduced in any way without credit given to HappyBerry. This includes copying and pasting into another blog or website, and filming the pattern for use on YouTube. You can however print it off for personal use or for use in a crochet group. Thank you.

28 comments:

  1. Love these slippers! Thanks so much for sharing your pattern for free. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome Anne, I hope you enjoy making them (^-^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For size 8 and 11 how many chains would that be and would the pattern still be the same in directions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You give the approximate UK shoe sizes for the basic slipper pattern -- what would the equivalent US sizes be? (Or even European metric sizes would help, since I have bought shoes whilst on holiday on the Continent, decades ago.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine, the slipper pattern shown exactly here would give you a US size 9.5 or EU size 40. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  5. If I need to make the slipper smaller and I decrease the rows at the beginning by 2, would I decrease by two in each round as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cam follow your video but it doesnt match your written pattern, I am reading it while listening amd its not the same. I made one pair successfully by the video but now when I pause the video I habe to search for the spot again, it doesnt let me just continue so I am trying the written and I keep screwing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi cycah, it should be the same as I did the video from my written pattern he he, can you let me know where it differs so I can look into it, thanks :)

      Delete
    2. I figured out the misunderstanding. The written pattern starts each roaw with "1hdc 10/11/12/13 stiches" where as in the video you just added the last 10 stiches of the previous row to the first stiches of the next row. So you said "ch 20/21/22/23" so I was confused when I read it differently.

      Delete
    3. I think I'm confused now he he as long as you ended up with slippers that's the main thing, they are the same pattern, you work 2 'rows' at the beginning to equal your first 'round' and then work in the round which may have confused you.

      Delete
  7. Is This size for man and woman? if so what the size for both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is one size for both men and women to fit a UK shoe size of 5-7/US size 9.5 or EU size 40

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. You're welcome!! Glad you liked this pattern.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing this pattern. I am new to crocheting and really enjoy practicing with small projects. I just have one question... verbally and written wise you state "st" in Round 1 but the video looks like you are doing "sl st". Please forgive my ignorance but I'm truly a novice and trying to follow along with the video while trying to learn how to read crochet patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the pattern which I used for my first crochet project and now my husband is very happy with his new slippers. I am now going to make myself a pair. thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thank you so very much for sharing this pattern and posting your video. I'm somewhat new to crocheting. I'm having a bit of difficulty in adjusting the pattern to a smaller size. I have quite a few different sizes I will be making ( Christmas gifts already in mind =] ) Wondering if you'd be able to add some pointers to help with that. I thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok i just found your pattern and flowed your video, and made one pair. but i find that it fits the toes fine but the rest seem too shallow it almost just falls off the back of your foot. how would you make the sides higher but finish off easy..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I did was when she asks you to do the same color and add it after you finish off the slipper, I added the contrast color to the center back and SC'd all around the edge. Then, I slip stitched to connect from where I started.. From there, I started to do another row of SC, but when I got to the corner before the front, right after that, I started to slip stitch that whole front section until I got to the next corner and then I started to SC again until I get to the back. I wanted just the sides higher and not the front. This is where I ended with another slip stitch to connect. I stopped there. This helped bring the sides up and in a bit and my slippers fit nice and snug. If you want your sides even higher, you can do it again, but remember; your front may come in a bit more, too. You could start at the front corner and work your way back and forth around the sides with SC's and stop when you get high enough. You could even go up to your ankle if you wanted to and just lace up the front. There are so many things you can do with this pattern. It's awesome.

      Delete
    2. Here is information and a picture of my project. Hope this helps.
      http://www.ravelry.com/projects/embroiderybee/red-hots

      Delete
  13. what size for 8 1/2 -9 womens and mens 9.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the free pattern and video instruction. I LOVE my slippers and will be making more for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll really love to try this slipper but I'm a left handed person,so i'll be holding the needle on the left and my knitting will be the other way round compare to you.Any advise.Tq.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Would someon be willing to crochet these for me??...I don't crochet and would buy them. My grandmother use to make them for me but she has since passed away. Please let me know....thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just completed a pair using the exact written pattern and they turned out great! I wear a size 10 shoe. I also had a Grandma who used to make things for me so I understand. I would be glad to make a pair for you if you are still needing someone to.

      Delete
  18. How do I account for needing to do a US size 7?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete