Friday, 21 February 2014

How To Crochet a Butterfly - Yarn Scrap Friday


I wasn't sure if I would make it this Yarn Scrap Friday as I've had a nasty virus which actually stopped me crocheting!! duh duh duh!! (>.<) he he but not wanting to let you guys down I remembered a crochet pattern I could adapt quickly and that was for this butterfly.

It is actually an adaption of the wings on my Mini Angel from one of my Christmas crochet patterns, you can find that pattern here if you'd like it but the design also makes a wonderful butterfly shape, perfect as an applique or as bunting, even as a children's mobile.

I'm using my favourite cotton yarn again which I used in my Tartan Plaid Washcloth pattern and that's Rico Design Essential DK cotton yarn.

You will need

  • 3 colour choices of yarn, I used DK/Light worsted weight cotton yarn
  • 2.5mm crochet hook or any hook suitable for the yarn you are using
  • Yarn needle and scissors


C1 = colour choice 1
C2 = colour choice 2
C3 = colour choice 3

Round 1
Using C1, ch5, sl st in ch1 to form a loop

Round 2
Crochet 12dc into the loop you just created, join C2 with sl st to join round - (12)

Round 3
Ch1, 1sc in same st as previous sl st, 2dc in next st, 2sc in next st, [1dc, 1tr] in next st, 2tr in next st, [1dc, 1sc] in next st, [1sc, 1dc] in next st, 2tr in next st, [1tr, 1dc] in next st, 2sc in next st, 2dc in next st, 2sc in next st, join C3 with sl st in ch1 to join round - (24)

Round 4
Ch1, sl st in next st, [1sc, 1dc] in next st, [1dc, 1sc] in next st, sl st in next 2 sts, [1sc, 1dc] in next st, 3tr in next 2 sts, [1dc, 1sc] in next st, sl st in next st, *ch7, sl st in 4th ch from hook, sl st in next 3 chs back to butterfly, sl st in next st* repeat from * to * once more, sl st in next st, [1sc, 1dc] in next st, 3tr in next 2 sts, [1dc, 1sc] in next st, sl st in next 2 sts, [1sc, 1dc] in next st, [1dc, 1sc] in next st, sl st in last 2 sts, sl st in ch1 to join round, fasten off and tie in all tails.

And now you're done!

I hope you liked this little butterfly. You can also try an even simpler butterfly here if you like.



Any questions just post below or join me on Facebook or Twitter at http://www.facebook.com/happyberrycrochet and http://www.twitter.com/happyberryUK

For more free patterns please join me on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/happyberrycrochet or visit my website at http://www.happyberry.co.uk





© HappyBerry This pattern can not be reproduced in any way without credit given to HappyBerry. This includes copying and pasting into another blog or website, and filming the pattern for use on YouTube. You can however print it off for personal use or for use in a crochet group. Thank you.