Wednesday, 22 April 2015

Crochet-a-long (CAL) for Road Play Mat - Starting 24th April 2015


CAL Starting 24th April - Road Play Mat

I really did feel it was high time that I planned a Crochet-a-Long with you guys, but I wanted to make it fun and something for the little ones to enjoy as well. So here is my idea for my forthcoming CAL, a Road Play Mat or Blanket, which will be full of different textures and features, including roads, grass, farmer's fields, flowers, veg patches and ponds, which will be made up of 10cm x 10cm (4" x 4") squares, which we will join together at the end.

This CAL will be running for approximately 5 weeks, starting on the 24th April (every Friday), and will contain 8 square patterns to make a 4 squares x 5 squares play mat (made up from multiples of the 8 patterns), but of course you can make it bigger or smaller as this project is completely modular!

This Friday I will be starting with two different squares, a straight road square and a long grass square, but here is the full list of materials that you will need for the whole CAL.

Materials Required

Yarn
The listed yarn colours below need to all be DK / Light Worsted weight yarn, but you can use Aran / Worsted weight yarns if you prefer.  We are working to 10cm x 10cm squares (4" x 4") but size really doesn't matter as long as the squares are all the same size for you so we can join them together at the end.

  • Grey
  • White
  • Green
  • Yellow
  • Brown
  • Blue
  • Extra bright colours for smaller parts; pink, orange, purple

Hook
You will need a 3.5mm E/4 crochet hook or a hook size suitable for the yarn you are using.

Extras

  • Scissors
  • Yarn needle
  • A minimal amount of toy stuffing, or yarn scraps for stuffing (you won't need very much at all).

This CAL will run on YouTube and here on my blog (I've decided both as I think you guys would like both? wink emoticon ). Links will also be given on my Facebook page and via Twitter/Google+ etc when available each week. (^-^)

I hope you will join me on this fun CAL!

Subscribe here so you don't miss an episode: www.youtube.com/happyberrycrochet

Want to share your progress? Come join the official HappyBerry CAL Facebook group and see how others are getting along too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HappyBerryCALs

    

Visit my website at: www.happyberry.co.uk